Almonds are rich in protein, unsaturated fatty acid, fiber, vitamins E, B and C, bioflavonoids, microelements like calcium (twice much as that in milk), iron and selenium. - We are making almond milk from 3 different types of almonds using the Chufamix Nut and Vegetable Milk Maker. This TCM recipe nourishes the lungs and relieves constipation. The bitter almonds are widely used to relieve coughing, asthma and dissolves phlegm. Almonds can also brighten and moisturize your skin and hair ! Courtesy of Shenny Fong, a keen foodie and TCM expert.
What you will need
- 1/2 cup normal almonds soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup sweet skinned Chinese almonds (very similar to normal almonds) soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup skinned Chinese bitter almonds * soaked overnight
- 3-4 cupa filtered water
- Place 1 1/2 cups water in a Chufamix water container
- Place normal almonds into sieve and blend to produce almond milk as normal, remove pulp and save milk created in this step. Pulp may be used for baking.
- Place 2 cups water into Chufamix water container
- Place Chinese sweet and bitter almonds into sieve and blend to produce the Chinese almond milk. Discard pulp.
- Place this Chinese almond milk into a pot and simmer gently for 20 min. This step is necessary because bitter almonds have a bitter taste and mild toxicity. Bitter almonds cannot be eaten raw and are usually only used in Chinese medicine to clear and nourish the lungs and intestines. Once you soak and boil the bitter almonds, it is safe to consume.
- Once Chinese almond milk mixture is cooled , mix in the normal almond milk, stir and sweeten according to taste.
- Bitter almond pulp should not be consumed raw. However pulp may be dried and then used for baking etc
Adapted from recipe by Chef Roy Wong